Friday, July 20, 2018

A new 3D printer- getting back to the uBITX

Since I had not followed my own advise after I got my first 3D printer.  Who doesn't need another hobby!  
I had planned on building a larger printer for some of the projects I have planned.  For this printer I ordered a set of motors and electronics through one of the Chinese suppliers.  After waiting more than the estimated time for delivery, I contacted the seller and received a full refund.  That left me with the decision, order another set from a different supplier or look for a completed printer the size I wanted in a reasonable price range. 


After watching a YouTube video by my favorite 'Cyborg', Naomi Wu building the new Creality 'Ender 3' 3D printer.  I checked several other videos that showed the assembly and operation of this printer.  Reviews were mostly very positive, and it had the specifications I was looking for.  From a e-mail flyer I found that Gearbest had them on sale for less than $210 including shipping, so I placed a order. Gearbest now has a warehouse in the US, it only took about a week and a half for it to arrive.

Since I had watched several videos on the assembly, it only took about a hour to get it put together and check the alignment.  The first print was the test file that came on the included SD card, the print quality was very nice.  After that I visited Thingiverse.com and grabbed some of the accessories such as a fan cover and accessory tray that have been created for the 'Ender 3'.  They all turned out quite well, even though I was playing with the slicer settings as I went along.

After I finished them, it was time to get back to what I wanted a larger printer for in the first place.  Printing a case for the uBITX, I modified my standard 'clam shell' case design for the size I desired and added a set of mounting posts for the uBITX circuit board.  Since I was still playing with some of the slicer settings, I printed the piece at a quite slow speed.  So after about 14 hours I had the bottom half of a case for my uBITX.  Print quality was fine for what I wanted for the case, but I can still tweek the settings to get even better results. And since this was printed with some generic brand filament I got for $12 a kilogram, I don't know how much that had to do with the minor finish issues I found.  The size of the case at 200 x 190 mm takes most of the 230 x 230 mm print area of the printer.  I am quite pleased with this printer, and do not think it would be a bad choice for those wanting to try 3D printing without investing a lot of money.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this info. I'm looking to get another 3D printer - bigger - for this reason mainly.

    ReplyDelete