I have been working on several projects, most of them not related to electronics. The main electronic related one has made me look back on some code I wrote 6 years ago when I first started learing C++ and the Arduino IDE. Still wonder what I was thinking of, and how did I ever get anything to work. Looking at some of the code made me think it was written in a write-only languge. Almost as bad as looking at some of the things written in FORTH.
I had been following the Vienna Wireless Society makers group and their Simple SSB transceiver. They finished that with around 10 units up and running. Many built by members that had no building expereience. I had started to build a version of this, but they had mostly finished with the project when I started joining their Zoom meetings. I had some ideas of how I would like to change this, and then other things came up that postponed my doing this. They just started a new project, to try to get more of their club members into home brewing (electronic kind not liquid kind). This one is a Direct Conversion Receiver which should be easier for the first time builders.
I am going to try to follow along with their progress, and build each module as they are presented. Probably make a few changes as they progress to reflect some things I already have on hand. They have a Zoom meeting about every other week, to present info on the next stage in the project, keep up with build progress, and provide assistance as needed.
This is a fairly conventional DC Receiver. The interesting thing is that they plan on using a home made Diode Ring Double Mixer, instead of a ADE-1, SBL-1. or an active mixer like the NE602.
Their last Zoom meeting went over the block diagram. And, a gain distrabution diagram to define the gain or loss in each stage to get up to the required overall system gain.
Most of the modules will be built manhatten style using MePads, but any other type of construction would be fine. Since this is all at audio frequencies, a ground plane is not necessary and it could easily be built using perf bard. This would be similar to the final stage of the version in my previous post.