While getting some equipment off a shelf I knocked some thing down and they landed on a nanoVNA, cracking the screen.
I think it is time to make some protetive cases for the equipment when not in use. Looking around on Thingiverse I found a small case that is similar to to a Pelian Case. I printed one and fund it to be exatly what I wanted. It is very strong with a nice latch system that closes very tightly. It has a seal that can be made watertight if I run a small bead of silicon tub sealant in the grove in the bottom part of the box. Or there is a seal that can be printed using flexible filament.
Using this basic design and dimensins for the hinge and latch mounts, I designed several more boxes of the sizes I need for some of my other instruments. With this design I can use the same lacth and hinge parts as the original design.
I printed these up using some HIPS, PLA or PETG for the case top and bottom. These all worked quite well, with the PETG probably providing a little tighter seal. I found that PETG worked best for the hinge and latch parts. Since it is slightly flexible it holds the two parts of the case tighger than ones I printed with of PLA.
I lined the inside of a case with some mediam density foam to hold the instruments in place and provide quite a bit of protection.
I am going to try to design some printed inserts for some of my other instruments instead of making them out of foam.
After I clean up some of the cad fies I will post all of then for anyone interested.
Original box design on thingiverse
Use the latch and hinge components for all other designs
Designed and printed a new box bottom for a NanoVNA. This has built in compartments to hold the VNA , cables, and cal standards. I use connector savers on my VNA, so had to make the compartment a little longer. This gives me room to also store my printed torque wrench. Will have to print one for my other nanoVNA. With a piece of foam in the topccover, everything stays in place.
Still need to play with some of the printer settings. So far it looks like I need to use about 15% simple grid infill to keep the weight down. And 3 perimiter layers and 5 top and bottom layers.
Still checking and cleaning up the CAD files. Since I am using a fairly old commercial CAD program that does not use a standard file format for the raw file I will be exporting them to .stl format. As I check the CAD files I will store the .stl to this dropbox folder.